Menu Close

In memoriam: Ilor Tamm (1926-2017)

My father passed away on February 1st, 2017, he was 91 years old.

I came across an article that was written about him in an Estonian newspaper, but unfortunately, I do not speak or read Estonian.
Thanks to the help of a very kind Reddit user (r1243) I was able to get an English translation of the article.

Below is the translated version (in English and Spanish), with a few minor adjustments made.

Para leer en Español, haga clic aquí.




The Estonian Tamm, who the world later knew as Ilor, was born and raised in Virumaa, where his father Nikolai and mother Olga named him Viktor.

At the age of 14, he went to war, heading towards Russia with Alfons Rebane – for pay back of his departed parents. His journey began from Vaivara primary school, continued in the Narva Hermann fortress and with six days of marching towards Gatchina. During the cold winter of 1942, he stood at a guard post on enemy ground and thought about whether someone would ever write about Estonian men who fought in the Second World War.

In the spring of 1944, the Eastern Battalions returned home as well, first to Toila valley, where they were reformed to be a part of the 20th Estonian SS-division. Viktor, who had turned 17 in the middle of the war, fought as a part of the II/SS-Rgt. 46 at the retreat battles under Narva that began on July 25 and the hell at Sinimäed that followed – long and bloody days of battle until August 8 – staying relatively unscathed, but very little remained of the unit that fought bravely.

After Sinimäed, Tamm became a part of the “Finnish boys” (Soomepoisid), who made up the III/SS-Rgt. 46. With them, he fought in battles at Pupastvere, Nõo and Kärevere and under Luunja, where he was wounded on September 17 to both knees by cannon shell shrapnel. He was sent to hospital in Germany. Neuhammer and Posen followed, where colonel Saarsen created the secretive special unit Frontaufklärungs-Bataillon 391.

The heart of the unit consisted of an unit of the Abwehr that had been in Estonia and evacuated to Germany, Abwehrgruppe 326. The unit wore Wehrmacht uniform and green Waffenfarbe shoulder marks (Jäger-Einheit). The batallion was housed at the top floor of a tall stone building located in the heart of Posen. In addition to the first big group of recruits from Gotenhafen, new fighters were added to the unit from time to time both alone and in groups. Altogether, there were about 400 men who were divided into 4 companies. The whole unit was armed with factory-new Sturmgewehrs.

In January, they took a train across Wreschen to the east, to the town of Grenzhausen. They were waiting to be deployed at the front, but after a few days of waiting the order came to return towards the west on foot, through deep snow. It was a long and hard journey through parts of Poland which were still held by Germany, but which were covered in partisans. They passed small towns Scrimm, Kosten et al. After circling around Posen, they headed towards what used to be called Benschen. Their first clash on their way to the west happened in the town of Benschen. They kept going until Küstrin an der Oder.

At one point, movement towards the north stopped and they headed south through Strausberg and Königs Wusterhausen, to the town of Zossen about 10 kilometers south of Berlin. At Zossen, they discovered that most of the batallion was joined the 20th Estonian SS-division and only a small amount would continue, probably to the Danish 20th Estonian SS-division’s backup regiment.

In that unit, Viktor got wounded at the beginning of 1945 at Warsaw, and was sent for treatment to Germany. The city he was in fell to the French and already in August, the Russians came to demand that Soviet citizens be handed to them. One day, when the French were taking the men to see a dentist in town, Viktor fell behind, knocked on the first door he saw and asked for help.

Thus began his life with a changed name and false identity. For a young man with no education, it was hard to stay alive, but still possible. Ilor managed to turn himself in to the Amis (German slang for Americans), and after a short imprisonment, he was offered a position in an U.S. army guard unit, where he served for some years. After that, he left Europe.

In 1956, Ilor Tamm graduated from the Universidad Central de Venezuela. This was followed by years of work and two marriages, from which seven children were born and raised. Ilor never forgot his brothers-in-arms. He took part in the fight for Estonian independence with the weapon of words, ordering Estonian books and newspapers. In Venezuela, he attempted to invite his mother to live with him, but his request denied.

In 1984, Ilor moved to Canada. He became the chairman of the Toronto Estonian Fighters Union, and the economic leader of the newspaper “Võitleja”, published in Toronto for Estonian soldiers and freedom fighters.

Ilor returned to Estonia after a long, forced stay away in 1991. From then on, he came home almost every year. He spent the most time in the trails of his childhood, in Virumaa. Thus he helped with building the memorial wall of Vana-Vaivara cemetery, spoke at the historical conference for the 60th anniversary of the Sinimägede battles at Olgino cultural house, and worried about the grave of Sooden and Jüriado in Jõhvi, that to his surprise had gotten a new, less noticeable gravestone in the second half of the 2000’s, that he felt was not worthy of these great men.

For many years, he kept close contact with the East-Virumaa Freedom Fighters’ Union, but he also had constant and strong connection with the Sakala Union of Estonian Fighters. Ilor Tamm was a honorary member of the Estonian Legion’s Friends Club, and he took part in their activities.

In 2013, when the “Võitleja” newspaper was closed, Ilor Tamm wrote: “Võitleja” did its part like our soldiers, who have left this world one by one.”
2016 was the last time Ilor visited his homeland. In that summer and autumn, he met many people at Sinimäed, Viljandi, Valga, Padise and Tallinn. As always, when leaving his homeland, he said “See you soon!” Maybe we will, now that your fatherland is calling for you!

Loyalty is our honor!

Estonian Legion’s Friends’ Club
Sakala Union of Estonian Fighters East-Virumaa Freedom Fighters’ Union



El Estonio Tamm, que el mundo más tarde conocía como Ilor, nació y creció en Virumaa, donde su padre Nikolai y su madre Olga lo nombraron Viktor.

A la edad de 14 años, él fue a la guerra, dirigiéndose hacia Rusia con Alfons Rebane – para pagar por la partida de sus padres. Su viaje comenzó desde la escuela primaria Vaivara, continuó en la fortaleza Narva Hermann y con seis días de marcha hacia Gatchina. Durante el frío invierno de 1942, se paró en un puesto de guardia en tierra enemiga y pensó en si alguien escribiría alguna vez sobre los hombres Estonios que lucharon en la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

En la primavera de 1944, los batallones del Este volvieron también a su hogar, primero en el valle de Toila, donde fueron reformados para formar parte de la vigésima división SS de Estonia. Viktor, que había cumplido 17 años en medio de la guerra, luchó como parte del II / SS-Rgt. 46 en las batallas de retirada bajo Narva que comenzó el 25 de julio y el infierno en Sinimäed que siguió – largos y sangrientos días de batalla hasta el 8 de agosto permaneciendo relativamente indemne, pero quedó muy poco de la unidad que luchó valientemente.

Después de Sinimäed, Tamm se hizo una parte de los “muchachos finlandeses” (Soomepoisid), que formaron el III / SS-Rgt. 46. ​​Con ellos, luchó en batallas en Pupastvere, Nõo y Kärevere y bajo Luunja, donde fue herido el 17 de septiembre a ambas rodillas por metralla de cañón. Fue enviado al hospital en Alemania. Neuhammer y Posen siguieron, donde el coronel Saarsen creó la unidad especial secreta Frontaufklärungs-Bataillon 391.

El corazón de la unidad consistía en una unidad de la Abwehr que había estado en Estonia y evacuada a Alemania, Abwehrgruppe 326. La unidad llevaba uniforme de Wehrmacht y marcas de hombro de Waffenfarbe verdes (Jäger-Einheit). El batallón fue alojado en la planta superior de un edificio de piedra alto situado en el corazón de Posen. Además del primer grupo grande de reclutas de Gotenhafen, los nuevos combatientes fueron agregados a la unidad, de vez en cuando solos y en grupos. En total, había unos 400 hombres que estaban divididos en 4 empresas. Toda la unidad estaba armada con la nueva Sturmgewehrs.

En enero, tomaron un tren a través de Wreschen al este, a la ciudad de Grenzhausen. Estaban esperando ser desplegados en la parte delantera, pero después de unos días de espera la
orden vino a regresar hacia el oeste a pie, a través de la nieve profunda. Fue un largo y duro viaje por partes de Polonia que todavía estaban en manos de Alemania, pero que estaban cubiertas de partidarios. Pasaron por pequeñas ciudades Scrimm, Kosten entre otras. Después de dar vueltas alrededor de Posen, se dirigieron hacia lo que solía llamarse Benschen. Su primer choque en su camino hacia el oeste ocurrió en la ciudad de Benschen. Continuaron hasta Küstrin an der Oder.

En un momento, el movimiento hacia el norte se detuvo y se dirigieron al sur a través de Strausberg y Königs Wusterhausen, a la ciudad de Zossen unos 10 kilómetros al sur de Berlín. En Zossen, descubrieron que la mayor parte del batallón se unió a la vigésima división SS de Estonia y sólo una pequeña cantidad continuaría, probablemente a la danesa vigésima división de la división SS de Estonia regimiento. En esa unidad, Viktor fue herido a principios de 1945 en Varsovia, y fue enviado para tratamiento a Alemania.

La ciudad en la que se encontraba cayó en manos de los franceses y ya en agosto, los rusos vinieron a exigir que se les entregara a los ciudadanos soviéticos. Un día, cuando los franceses llevaban a los hombres a ver a un dentista en la ciudad, Viktor se quedó atrás, llamó a la primera puerta que vio y pidió ayuda. Así comenzó su vida con un nombre cambiado y una falsa identidad. Para un joven sin educación, era difícil mantenerse vivo, pero aun así era posible.

Ilor logró convertirse en el Amis (argot alemán para los estadounidenses), y después de un breve encarcelamiento, se le ofreció un puesto en una unidad de guardia del ejército de los EE.UU., donde sirvió durante algunos años. Después de eso, dejó Europa. En 1956, Ilor Tamm se graduó de la Universidad Central de Venezuela. A esto le siguieron años de trabajo y dos matrimonios, de los cuales nacieron y criaron siete hijos. Ilor nunca olvidó a sus hermanos de armas. Participó en la lucha por la independencia de Estonia con el arma de las palabras, ordenando libros y periódicos estonios. En Venezuela, intentó invitar a su madre a vivir con él, pero su petición lo negó. En 1984, Ilor se trasladó a Canadá. Se convirtió en el presidente del Sindicato de Combatientes Estonianos de Toronto y en el líder económico del periódico “Võitleja”, publicado en Toronto para soldados estonios y combatientes por la libertad. Ilor regresó a Estonia después de una larga y forzada ausencia en 1991. A partir de entonces, regresó a casa casi cada año.

Pasó la mayor parte del tiempo en los senderos de su infancia, en Virumaa. Así ayudó a construir el muro conmemorativo del cementerio de Vana-Vaivara, habló en la conferencia histórica para el 60 aniversario de las batallas de Sinimägede en la casa cultural de Olgino, y preocupado por la tumba de Sooden y Jüriado en Jõhvi, que para su sorpresa había conseguido Una lápida nueva, menos notable en la segunda mitad de los años 2000, que él sentía no era digno de estos grandes hombres. Durante muchos años, mantuvo un estrecho contacto con el Sindicato de Combatientes de la Libertad de Oriente-Virumaa, pero también mantuvo una conexión constante y fuerte con la Unión de Combatientes Estonios de Sakala.

Ilor Tamm era miembro honorario del Club de Amigos de la Legión de Estonia y participó en sus actividades. En 2013, cuando el periódico “Võitleja” fue cerrado, Ilor Tamm escribió: “Võitleja” hizo su parte como nuestros soldados, que han dejado este mundo uno por uno. ” 2016 fue la última vez que Ilor visitó su tierra natal. En ese verano y otoño, conoció a muchas personas en Sinimäed, Viljandi, Valga, Padise y Tallin.

Como siempre, al salir de su patria, dijo: “¡Hasta pronto!” Tal vez lo haremos, ahora que su patria está llamando por usted!

¡La lealtad es nuestro honor!

Club de Amigos de Estonian Legion Sakala Unión de Combatientes Estonios
Unión de Combatientes de la Libertad de OrienteVirumaa

Note: The original article can be found here:

Posted in Personal

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.